With the cold and flu season upon us, it’s ever more important to practice good hygiene, eat a nutrient-dense diet, improve sleep habits, and strengthen our immune systems. One of our go-to supplements in the fight against flus and colds is elderberry extract.
Preferred by practitioners, confirmed by clients, and verified by virologists, this sweet and soothing superstar has been the herbal elixir of choice for centuries. Made from black elderberries high in antioxidants, elderberry extract has been proven to ward off colds and relieve symptoms of flus and respiratory tract infections.
Elderberry extract explained
Considered one of the world’s most healing plants, the elderberry’s small berries and flowers are packed with immunity-boosting antioxidants and vitamins including:
- Hemagglutinin protein, proven to stop a virus’ capability to replicate by inhibiting its ability to penetrate the cell wall. If elderberries are taken after infection, it can prevent the virus from spreading, thus reducing the duration of influenza symptoms.
- Vitamin C to work against the viral flu and boost immunity.
- Vitamin A for healthy mucosa and skin.
- Phenolic acids to reduce damage from oxidative stress in the body.
- Flavonols for cardiovascular health, relaxation and overall antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
- Anthocyanins for powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
It’s no wonder elderberry extract is lauded as a force against flu, but don’t just take our word for it.
The global experts on elderberry extract
- In the early 90s, world-renowned Israeli virologist Dr Madeleine Mumcuoglu tested its healing properties on patients during a flu epidemic in Israel. She discovered that within 24 hours, 20% of patients that took elderberry extract experienced dramatic improvements in symptoms like fever, coughing, muscle aches and pains. By the second day, 73% improved and by day three, 90%. In the group that did not receive elderberry extract, only 16% felt better after two days. The majority of that group took almost a week to see signs of improvement.
- During an outbreak of influenza B in Panama in 1993, researchers conducted tests on 27 patients. 93.9% of those in the group taking elderberry experienced a significant improvement of symptoms within 2 days. By day 3, 90% of those supplementing were completely cured, compared to the control group who took 6 days to recover.
- During the influenza season of 1999-2000 in Norway, a study of 60 people found that those who took 15 ml of elderberry syrup 4 times a day saw signs of improvement in 2 to 4 days, while those who took a placebo syrup took 7 to 8 days to improve.
- 312 people took part in an Australian study on elderberries between 2013 and 2014. It showed that those supplementing 3 times a day with elderberry extract had colds that were half the severity and two days shorter than those who did not.
Our practitioners at IMI have prescribed this natural elixir to the young and old for over twenty five years, with great clinical results. Pure and potent, it has been proven to boost immunity of not only those who are unwell, but those who are healthy too.
Their top pick is GaiaHerbs’ Black Elderberry Syrup which concentrates the power of 14.5g of organic elderberries into one manageable dose.
ArmaForce is another powerful formula featuring a range of immune-boosting ingredients, including echinacea, vitamin C, quercetin and zinc as well as elderberries.