It’s all over the news: WHO officially announced burnout is a workplace disease. We’re not surprised: we’re treating an alarming number of professionals suffering from stress, anxiety, insomnia, and ultimate burnout every week. Burnout can have dire consequences – your career, home life, mental wellbeing and physical health can all take a hit, so it’s crucial you nip it in the bud.
The challenge: we often don’t realize we’re suffering from burnout until it’s too late.
Could you or someone you know be on the brink of burnout? Here are the nine common signs to look out for, says Dr Benita Perch, IMI’s Managing Director, Naturopathic Physician.
- You feel stressed all the time .
- You experience brain fog and forgetfulness.
- You can’t sleep at night.
- You’re anxious, unable to feel calm, and always ‘switched on’
- You lack enthusiasm at work and your performance is suffering.
- You’re less resourceful, less responsive, and more reactive.
- You become increasingly irritable and angry.
- You fall sick often. Digestive and gut disorders. High levels of stress. Anxiety and depression. Colds and flus. Allergies and intolerances. And more.
- Without appropriate intervention, burnout hits. You’re now severely exhausted and depleted.