With the cold and flu season now in full swing, it becomes all the more necessary to give our immune systems a powerful boost against bugs.
At IMI, we recommend three easy, yet impactful ways to bolster your immunity: Eat well. Live well. Supplement well.
Did you know that 70% of your immune system lives in your gut? It’s important to eat foods that nourish and nurture your immune system, and avoid foods that hurt and hinder its abilities. At this time and all year round, prioritise a whole food diet high in vegetables and fruits and low in processed foods, white foods, and sugar.
For the perfect blend of immunity-boosting vitamins and antioxidants, we recommend:
- Fruits including all types of citrus fruits and papaya for a vital fix of Vitamin C.
- Vegetables like red bell peppers, broccoli, brussel sprouts and spinach – all packed with vitamins and antioxidants.
- Sugar-free yoghurt – a great source of Vitamin D and probiotics to keep the gut healthy.
- Lean proteins like chicken and turkey breast, and protein-rich eggs and nuts.
No matter how clean you eat, an offending food may be upsetting the delicate balance of good and bad bacteria in your gut, triggering inflammation and leaving you susceptible to sickness. A simple pin prick test available at IMI can identify food intolerances and, with a tailored plan in place to heal your gut, we can put a stop to runny noses, coughs and colds.
There’s no end of research in Hong Kong that confirms the sad reality: we stress more, sit more, stare at screens more, and sleep less. Our lifestyles add stress to our bodies and weaken our immune systems.
Simple tweaks can restore our immunity superpowers. As challenging as it can be in Hong Kong’s frenetic way of life, we can include mindful and relaxing breaks, movement breaks, and screen breaks in our day; and we can prioritise good sleep hygiene at night.
In the cold and flu season, our immune systems need extra support. In addition to appropriate diet and lifestyle tweaks, a tailored plan of natural medicines like herbal medicine, homeopathy, and good-quality nutritional supplements can bolster your innate healing abilities, and prevent acute conditions from becoming chronic.
- In fact, good quality supplements are essential to build a strong immune system, especially given deteriorating soil quality, imported foods, and the added environmental stressors of living in a city like Hong Kong. Our pure and potent practitioner-recommended supplements include Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Probiotics and Zinc.
If you do fall sick, homeopathy can trigger the body’s self–healing power by stimulating a precise reaction in the body against the symptoms. It can help to shorten the duration and severity of your symptoms, improve how you feel during the process, and help to rebalance your immune system long-term.
Can we boost your immune system?
Yes, we can. Our naturopaths have helped and healed thousands of clients – young and old – over the years. They’re often the first port of call for clients who want a natural and personalised fix for acute conditions. Ready to supercharge your immunity? Book an appointment with an IMI naturopath by calling 2523 7121 or connecting with us here.