With the cold and flu season upon us, it’s ever more important to practice good hygiene, eat a nutrient-dense diet, improve sleep habits, and strengthen our immune systems. One of our go-to supplements in the fight against flus and colds is elderberry extract.
Preferred by practitioners, confirmed by clients, and verified by virologists, this sweet and soothing superstar has been the herbal elixir of choice for centuries. Made from black elderberries high in antioxidants, elderberry extract can be used to ward off or reduce the duration of flus and fevers, coughs and colds, sinus, ear and throat infections and more.
Elderberry extract explained
Considered one of the world’s most healing plants, the elderberry’s small berries and flowers are packed with immunity-boosting antioxidants and vitamins including:
- Hemagglutinin protein proven to stop a virus’ capability to replicate by inhibiting its ability to penetrate the cell wall. If elderberries are taken after infection, it can prevent the virus from spreading, thus reducing the duration of influenza symptoms.
- Vitamin C to work against the viral flu and boost immunity.
- Vitamin A for healthy mucosa and skin.
- Phenolic acids to reduce damage from oxidative stress in the body.
- Flavonols for cardiovascular health, relaxation and overall antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
- Anthocyanins for powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
It’s no wonder elderberry extract is lauded as a force against flu, but don’t just take our word for it.
The global experts on elderberry extract
- In the early 90s, world-renowned Israeli virologist Dr Madeleine Mumcuoglu tested the healing properties on patients during a flu epidemic in Israel. She discovered that within 24 hours, 20% of patients that took elderberry extract had dramatic improvements in symptoms like fever, coughing, muscle aches and pains. By the second day, 73% improved and by day three, 90%. In the group that did not receive elderberry extract, only 16% felt better after two days. The majority of that group took almost a week to see signs of improvement.
- During an outbreak of influenza B/Panama in 1993, researchers conducted tests on 27 patients. In the group taking elderberry extract, a significant improvement of symptoms was seen in 93.3% group within 2 days. A complete cure was achieved within 2 to 3 days in nearly 90% of the group compared to at least 6 days for the placebo group.
- During the influenza season of 1999-2000 in Norway, a study of 60 people found that those who took 15 ml of elderberry syrup four times a day saw signs of improvement in two to four days, while those who took a placebo syrup took seven to eight days to improve.
- Between April 2013 and December 2014 in Australia, a study of 312 air travelers showed that those who took capsules containing 300 mg of elderberry extract three times per day had colds that were 2 days shorter than those who did not take the elderberry supplement and their colds were only about half as severe.
At IMI, our practitioners have prescribed elderberry extract to clients, young and old, for over twenty years. Pure and potent, it has proven to not only boost immunity in those who are unwell but in those who are healthy too. Gaia Black Elderberry Syrup is made with certified organic European black elderberries. ArmaForce is a potent formula that includes Sambucus (black elderberry), Echinacea, vitamin C, Quercetin, as well as Zinc to maximise your immune function. You can buy these in-person at our dispensary or online.