Most older teen and adult diets are at least 100mg short of the recommended daily intake of 350-400mg depending on body weight. Magnesium is often removed from commonly consumed processed foods such as white rice, flour, bread and noodles. The most common symptoms of a deficiency include muscle cramps and muscle tension. Other common complaints include sugar cravings, mood swings, anxiety, difficulty falling asleep, and restless hands or legs. With dedication to dietary intake, magnesium deficiency can be alleviated through diet but results can take a long time and be less effective. For faster and more efficient results, find out if a magnesium supplement is right for you.
12 Benefits of Magnesium
- Relieves painful muscle cramping
- Relieves tension headaches
- Required for energy production
- Improved sleep
- Mentally calming
- Nerve impulse connections
- Muscle contraction
- Normal heart beat
- Reduction in pain sensitivity
- Lower blood pressure
- Transports calcium and potassium ions across cell membranes
Testing and Two Types of Magnesium
Assessing magnesium levels in the body is difficult because it is mostly found inside cells and in bone. The best method for assessing magnesium is measuring concentration levels in red blood cells. This can be done with the “RBC Magnesium” test.
- Magnesium Glycinate is the preferred form of magnesium for most issues such as cramping, muscle relaxation and tension relief. This bioavailable form is easily absorbed.
- Magnesium Oxide is not well absorbed but is most commonly used form in substandard supplements. The one advantage to this form of magnesium is its ability to relieve constipation.
Practitioner Recommended Brand
- Ultra Muscleze: This drink complex allows for faster clinical results, and it is particularly effective for individuals experiencing cramps. Ultra Muscleze also contains vitamin B6 for improved results and deeper sleep.
- Mg Optima™ Relax (150g powder): This magnesium powder is scientifically formulated to promote relaxation during times of stress and to promote a positive effect on mood and cognitive performance.
- Magnesium (glycinate/malate) 120mg (100 capsules): These capsules contain the highly absorbable form of magnesium. Clients report improved sleep, less restlessness and calming of the mind.
- Triple Magnesium 250mg (90 capsules): Triple magnesium is a special blend of two, highly absorbable forms of magnesium with 60% magnesium oxide. This product is ideal for constipation and assisting digestive comfort.
Appropriate dosing is important for magnesium. Ask our dispensary expert to find out which form of magnesium is right for you and which product will give you the greatest relief. To read more about magnesium and studies that have been conducted, go to the National Institute of Health website.
The IMI Pledge
IMI gives you the confidence that our carefully hand-selected clinical grade and retail products are the most effective, potent and pure supplements tailored for your needs.